Thursday, November 15, 2007

Australia meets NYC




















I had to go into Manhattan yesterday (November 14) and take a written test to become a NY notary. The test time was at 11:00 a.m. so we (me and sweetie) left the house at around 8:00 a.m. figuring we had plenty of time to drive to Staten Island, catch the Staten Island Railway which goes to the St. George Ferry Terminal, take the ferry across to lower Manhattan and then grab a cab to 123 William Street.


Now, mind you, I really needed to get this test "out of the way" because without it I can't start working in NY and, of course, it's only given every Wednesday. So we got to Staten Island the train was a bit late, then while we were on the train there was a "delay" so of course I'm starting to panic thinking, oh crap, this is going to set me back a good week. I knew if we missed the ferry we may as well just turn around and go home. Finally, the train gets to the ferry terminal, the doors open and we jump off and start running. We just made it!!!! Thank goodness. By the time we got a cab, we arrived at the testing site in plenty of time. I took me about 20 minutes to take the test and the mad rush was OVER!!!! What a relief.

It was a really nice day weatherwise so we started walking and wallking and ended up taking a stroll halfway over the Brooklyn bridge and back. We walked some more through Chinatown and ended up at a place called the Tuck Shop. It's Australian owned and run and had, oh yes, authentic meat pies and sausage rolls, which I consumed in about a minute, 30 seconds and followed it up with a LAMINGTON!!!! (Only my Australian readers will understand any of this). Then, before we left, I grabbed a nice jar of vegemite to bring back home!!!!! YUM!!! What a great day!!!!!!!!


P.S. Australians! Please note the "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" plate hanging on the wall of the Tuck Shop.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I am totally going to the Tuck Shop when I get out there! I didn't see the Skippy the Bush Kangaroo plate on the wall . . . dang, but that looks like an awesome store! You've really got to take me there!
So glad you're blogging. Keep up the good posting!